The latest released version of the AKT5 software package can be downloaded free for non-commercial purposes
© School of Agricultural & Forest Sciences
Please follow the link to download the AKT5 manual compatible version of the software (recommended for beginners)
AKT manual compatible version
To download the most recent version of the AKT5 software (for more experienced users only)
AKT version 4-25 (Please see note 7 from 'How to install akt5 software' below)
Please examine the associated Modifications link closely to understand the recent changes to the software
modified June 2005)
IMPORTANT : AKT5 is designed for 32 bit systems only. It will run on Win98*, Windows Millenium*, Windows 2000 and XP.
(* see note 4 below)
TO INSTALL AKT5 SOFTWARE.
6. To install the program, double click on the saved 'AKT5 Install.exe' and follow the on-screen instructions.
7. Because versions of AKT5 after version 4-14 no longer
requires the file akt.dll please ensure, if you are overwriting
an earlier version of AKT5, that you remove this file
from your installation folder to avoid any compatibility problems.
If you require further information or have any queries please contact us at email@example.com
(1) After installing AKT5 you can run the application by selecting Start / Programs / AKT5
(2) If a shortcut icon to akt5.exe is required on the desktop then it is IMPORTANT that the correct parameters are included with the command. This must be done in the following way :
(a) Highlight 'Start / Programs / AKT5' and right click mouse on AKT5 then choose 'Create shortcut'
(b) Move the shortcut from the updated 'Start / Programs /' menu to the desktop. This shortcut will automatically include in the command parameters
'/V1 /Z1 /P8000 /T2000 /H2000 /B500 /R500 /L500 /O1000 /I1000' (see Properties / Target)
These parameters ensure there is sufficient memory resources for running AKT5 with large or multiple knowledge bases. It is also worth while to set the shortcut 'Start in:' location to point at the folder containing your KBs. (see Properties / Start in )
(3) Any knowledge bases created on earlier versions of WinAKT or AKT5 will run on this release of AKT5 without any intervention by the user. However any knowledge base created or updated by this version of AKT5 (4-27) may not run on earlier versions of AKT5. Hence it is important when upgrading to AKT5 version 4-25 that all machines that are used for running AKT5 are also upgraded, otherwise problems may occur. A knowledge base must NOT be run on earlier versions of AKT5 than on which it was created or updated.
(4) AKT5 (ver.4-27) will run on Windows 2000 and XP without any changes. On Windows 98 and Millenium it is necessary to make sure that the revised versions of the Microsoft dll files msls31.dll and riched20.dll are updated. They are normally found in the folder C:\Windows\System or similar ( do a folder search if necessary) Replace with the versions of these files which are supplied with this release in the FTP folder ~/AKT5/4-13/DLLs/ The updated files are required to support the new UniCode standard for character sets. If there is a problem with the system not allowing a file to be changed then the files can be placed in the Program installation folder instead. Typically put your files into the folder C:\Program Files\AKT5
(5) In Windows 2000 and XP extra language scripts ( such as Thai ) can be used for formal terms, sources, etc and shown in the output from tools.
(6) In Windows 98 and Millenium extra scripts cannot be used unless the version of operating system being used is supplied specifically for that language. If a knowledge base containing non supported scripts is loaded the system will display a ? for each unknown character.
There is extensive documentation and example knowledge bases available in the reference section